Use the Seasons to Your Advantage
A marketing calendar allows you to schedule marketing tasks around different seasons. Whether your students are in school or not, most peoples lives revolve around your standard school year calendar. Also, the holiday season takes over everyone’s life from Thanksgiving through New Year’s. Therefore, it’s important that you plan your marketing activities around school and the holidays.
Here are some important times of the year to keep in mind. Be sure to mark them on your calendar!
- Early January: The holiday season is finally over. Some people got a new instrument as a gift during the holidays. Some people are setting New Year’s resolutions that include taking up a new musical instrument. Take advantage of this.
- June: Most private music teachers think that June is the time when their lesson schedule will lighten up. School is ending and people are going away for the summer. Interestingly, some people actually want lessons over the summer. It’s a great time to encourage your dedicated summer student to increase their lesson time or pick up a new student who wants to try an instrument out for the summer.
- September: Everyone is back to school and signing up for every activity possible. This is the most important time of the year to get students.
- Thanksgiving: As people begin shopping for the holidays, they might be looking to purchase the gift of music lessons. Make it easy on them. Try offering a prepaid holiday package of X number of lessons to poeple who purchase between November 25th and December 25th. This is a great way to bring in new students.
- End-of-the year: Gifts are being brought back to the music store for an exchange, refund, and/or to by accessories. They also ask about lessons then.